Thursday, November 21, 2013

A CHRISTMAS CAROL: AN ACTOR'S PERSPECTIVE--PART II


(NOTE:  Zionsville Radio Players is currently in production of an adaptation of Charles Dickens' classic novel A Christmas Carol.  The script was adapted by co-founder Susan McClelland, was directed by Len Mozzi, rehearsed in Oct. and Nov. and is now being recorded in two sessions at the WICR studios at the University of Indianapolis.  The following was written by actor Dr. Larry Adams, who plays the role of Jacob Marley.  It will be presented in three parts.)


PART II




I set these questions aside as our director, Len Mozzi, calls the group to order. After a few introductions and warm-up exercises, the rehearsal begins in earnest, and I hurriedly glance through the few pages of the script I had printed out scant minutes earlier to familiarize myself with my role: Scrooge’s business partner, Jacob Marley. Marley is most definitely dead as Dickens’ tale begins, but at this point in the rehearsal process, I frankly can’t tell you much more about him than that. I keep flashing back to Alec Guinness in the role, from the 1970 movie musical I had seen as a lad, so when we reach my grand entrance tonight, I sound uncomfortably like Obi-Wan Kenobi. Serviceable, I think to myself, for a Dickensian supporting spirit in a show, but little more. Fortunately, Len wants more.

“I’d like to try something different,” he says, mercifully interrupting me before I go full-fledged Jedi on him. “Dickens makes a point to say that you’re Scrooge’s friend. His only friend. Don’t talk to him as a ghost. I want you to try talking to him as his friend.”

A minor thing, really. A tweak. No lines are changed- only voice, only inflection. Yet, for me at least, it makes all the difference. No longer limited by some sort of Disneyish, Haunted House intonations, Dickens’ words still show Marley’s torment, but also now his frustration, his compassion, his love for his friend. Len talks about his ideas for the direction of this production, and suddenly the rest of the show falls into place. 

The theme, simply enough, is love. 

Our Scrooge will not be changed by his fear of the supernatural, his regret for the past, or even the shock of seeing his own, future tombstone; he will not be dragged to his redemption this night by any form of self-interest, but drawn to it by the unconditional love of those all around him. 

This is our take on this overdone story; this is our message to the audience.




No comments:

Post a Comment