Wednesday, October 16, 2013

MY TWO CENTS' WORTH....

Part the First:

I suspect many of you have found yourselves in the same place I am at this time--having a hobby you love, but having a life you love that precludes pursuing that hobby with all of your attention.


I have always loved the work of the theatre.  I love everything about it. And don't mind doing any of it. I love to work on sets by painting and decorating and sweeping up after the carpenters.  I love to organize a prop table, dress the stage, run the lights.  I enjoy the occasional directing gig.  And every once in a while, I enjoy stepping onto the stage myself.


I love it all.


And have been fortunate to be able to pursue the work of the theatre over the past several years.


But.



To say my life has changed in the last couple of years would be to vastly understate it.  

In two years:  two kids' weddings,a subsequent 5000-mile move for one couple, two grandchildren, aging parent's illness and demise, my own health challenges.

You know.  The stuff of life.

Consequently, I've been unable to pursue my favorite hobby given my very limited time and compromised health with my customary gusto.  

So....when Susan approached me with an idea to revive the (wonderful) art of radio drama, I was intrigued.  And, after the careful assessment of her idea over the course of..a minute or two, I was ecstatic!  

What a new/old way to do theatrical work without the time and energy commitment! And without the headaches and time and mileage and sweat involved in costumes and sets and blocking and months of rehearsal and box office receipts and and and....

And still doing the things I love the most--writing, directing, acting, and hobnobbing with my fellow theatre pals!

I got it. I was enthusiastic.  I was onboard.  

And things seem to have fallen into place.  

I believe that others share my current life situation--limited time, limited energy--and share my love of all things theatrical.  I believe this project has legs. It will afford so many of us a way to indulge our inner divas--and not-so-inner ones--without breaking the time bank.


Join us in whatever way you can--write, act, direct, underwrite a show, or just LISTEN.  'Cause, ultimately, that's what it's all about!


Patsy See




No comments:

Post a Comment